Saturday, March 9, 2013

Update #5: Boardrumors and Speculation

Note: This is a copy of Update #5 from my Kickstarter campaign.

I know I've been filling up your inboxes this week with long updates (which I do hope you'll actually read at some point) but today just a few quick announcements:

First, Emperor's New Clothes is now on BoardGameGeek! We're still working on getting the logo uploaded and more information submitted, but seeing that listing makes it feel official, doesn't it?

Also, the folks over at The Boardroomers, a video/audio podcast about the board game industry, spent a few minutes discussing and speculating about Emperor's New Clothes in their latest episode, recorded this week. Click here to watch the episode; the portion discussing Emperor's New Clothes is at about six minutes in. (Note to parents: there's some mild swearing involved intermittently so you may want to preview before watching with your kids.)

The Boardroomers do raise some questions and propose a few theories about Emperor's New Clothes, and while I'm not purposely avoiding the subject, I'm learning that my real life doesn't actually stop while I'm running a Kickstarter campaign and I still need to fulfill responsibilities like making supper for my kids and doing laundry.

I will say at least this much: Matt Morgan's theory that I'm trolling all of you is incorrect. Yes, there will be some sort of big reveal on April 1. Of course there is; who didn't see that one coming? But it won't be a link to Rick Astley. If that's what you're expecting, I'll eliminate the suspense and you can have it right now. (Though personally this is my new favorite.) Anyone who wants to go a little deeper down this rabbit hole should stick around.

As for Patrick Nickell's expressed fear that my project will shake people's confidence in Kickstarter, I hope that I can put those fears to rest over the course of this campaign. For one, it's hard to imagine that my $5,000 campaign would be a drop in the bucket compared to these other high-profile projects (some of which, I remind you, have not delivered yet). I'll be addressing some of these questions a little more in-depth in the coming week.

I'll leave you with this excellent article I read today: "This Is My Brain on Kickstarter," by Andre Behrens in The New York Times. It's a great examination of why at least one person backs projects on Kickstarter and how it has changed the way he looks at investing and start-ups and rewards. I feel like I want to quote the entire article to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment